Our Vision: Co-create a better world.
Pilot Projects Design Collective LLC is a design and consulting firm founded on the belief that small things, well designed, can catalyze big changes. The firm is made up of professional designers, strategists and craftspeople, all skilled at creating concrete solutions to challenging problems.
Pilot Projects Foundation Inc. is our not-for-profit partner organization used to launch innovative social and ecological projects with funding from donors, grants and corporate sponsorship.
From either vantage, for-profit or not-for-profit, we respond to systemic challenges with inventive, humane, beautiful, and sustainable projects.
Pilot Projects designs physical spaces, environments, services and products—but at the same time we apply our design thinking to the symbols, values, knowledge and behaviors that are often more impactful. We believe design must address both infrastructure and culture to really work. We view each of our projects as a catalyst for long-lasting change.
Social, environmental and financial impacts are priorities in our design process and selection of clients. Our collaborative method encourages all stakeholders to explore creative solutions that conserve natural resources and foster human interdependence.
Designing at Pilot Projects is iterative. Each step in the process allows reflection on results and incorporation of new knowledge:
- Listen…to all involved to understand the problem, goals, opportunities and constraints
- Examine…the stakeholder environment, behaviors and systems
- Test…a variety of scenarios to find out what would happen if...
- Refine…scenario components into an integrated design
- Prototype…models to test in real but controlled contexts
- Loop…often, to strengthen the solution
- Launch…into the wider world
- Watch and learn
Our clients come from a variety of business sectors and include executives, government officials, thought leaders and community groups.
Our members have worked closely with the following organizations:
The Smithsonian Institution / US General Services Administration / Google / Canadian Broadcasting Corporation / Deloitte / SUNY (University at Buffalo) / Bank Street College of Education / Disney / ABC News / Chipotle / Alexandria Properties: East River Science Park / Government of Alberta / GlaxoSmithKline / Omnicom / The Gap Inc. / SFMOMA / Young Harris College / Life University / Massachusetts Institute of Technology / Open Society Institute (George Soros Foundation) / Western Union / Hellosmile Dental Network / The Center for Court Innovation / NBC Telemundo / The Alfred A. Knopf Publishing Group / The Perseus Books Group / Yale University Press / Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Center for Faith and Work
Collaboration & Partnerships
We cultivate partnerships with organizations who share our vision and bring expertise to our projects. We are currently working with the following organizations:
- Wildlife Conservation Society
- LES Business Improvement District
- Cooper Union, Institute for Sustainable Design
- Columbia School of International and Public Affairs
- Municipal Art Society of New York
- Lower East Side Ecology Center
- Yale Environmental Protection Clinic
- BYO Consulting
- Mancini Duffy | TSC Architects
- The Environmental Health Clinic - NYU
- The Wright Ingraham Institute
Support our Not-For-Profit work: