We design and develop solutions to problems in physical space and culture. We work with a wide range of clients, from large organizations to small business owners, to address specific design needs. We also create project proposals with the goal of large-scale systemic change. All of our services are focused on achieving immediate tangible results on the path to realizing a long term vision.
Project Incubation and Design
Project Incubation addresses multi-layered systems challenges. These are typically urban projects whose impetus is the desire for a more livable, equitable and beautiful city. Meeting these challenges requires addressing a messy tangle of physical infrastructure constraints, legacy programs, communications strategy and relationship-building. Project incubation services include:
- stakeholder engagement
- problem discovery and definition
- concept sketches, design exploration and review
- detailed design development
- systems design: services, funding models, operations and staffing
- presentation deliverables
Design: Products and Spaces
These are focused design efforts around specific hardware and infrastructure needs. Concepts may be brought to us by a client looking for assistance with development, or a client may present us with a design problem that we're asked to solve from scratch and complete in toto.
- concept exploration
- prototyping and fabrication
- research: consumer, materials and production
- manufacturing specifications and contract documents
A flexible menu of services gives clients the design and management support they need to increase productivity and facilitate critical conversations. When it comes to serving as cheer leader or traffic cop at the intersection of organizational culture and workplace design, our process includes a range of methodologies and pilot project strategies.
- participatory design / facilitation process with decision makers
- project development and management
- organizational development and workplace strategy
- documents and data visualization: drawings, diagrams, reports etc.
How We Bill
Pilot Projects Design Collective bills hourly or by fixed-price proposal. Estimated hours, target price or “not to exceed” budgets can be provided when applicable. Our billing rates vary depending on project type. We also undertake a certain number of pro bono and reduced fee projects each quarter. Pilot Projects Foundation also funds a limited number of approved projects each year.
Please contact us for more information, hourly rates, or to initiate a project proposal.